The 2017 OATC Convention Committee invites you to join us for the 45th Annual Convention being held at the beautiful Willamette Valley Oregon Garden Resort in Silverton, Oregon – up to 22 hours of CPE at a gorgeous location!
Register soon to take advantage of the Early Bird discounts. We warmly invite non-members to take advantage of the member discount by completing and submitting our membership application before registering for this seminar....
BONUS: We are having a drawing for those who register early, before May 1st. The winner will be reimbursed for one night’s room rate for their stay at convention. If you have already made a deposit on the convention, your name is already in the drawing – and if you pay the balance due before May 1st – you get another entry into the drawing!
About the CONVENTION Site
The Oregon Garden Resort in Silverton is a first-class venue. No casino, no smoke, a beautiful resort in all ways. I hope you are all as excited as we are to have our convention back at this location. We held our 2013 convention at the Oregon Gardens and, this time, we have kept the early registration fees for OATC members the same as the early registration fees for OATC members at the 2013 convention.
We have a special Room Rate at the resort for our convention. Rooms are $119 (plus tax). To guarantee this rate you must reserve your room by May 15th using the discount code TAXPROS. Call 503-874-2500, or reserve on-line at www.oregongardenresort.com.
- A full, 3-day convention registration includes the cost of meals: breakfast, lunch and dinner on Thursday and Friday, and breakfast and lunch on Saturday.
- A 3-day meal pass is available for non-registering companions for an additional $185.
- Single-day registrations include only lunch.
- To make this year’s convention a little more fun we are having a Garden Party on Thursday night. This will be an outdoor event and will not be a sit-down dinner but a buffet of heavy, hot and cold Hors d’oeuvres. Entertainment is being planned as well.
- Friday’s dinner is the annual Banquet. This year, in keeping with our Garden Party theme, dress will be business casual.
Presented in a buffet:
- Tropical Salad - Romaine tossed with pineapple, bacon bits, toasted coconut and toasted almonds. Served with a grilled pineapple vinaigrette
- Hawaiian Pasta Salad - Pasta shells, yellow and green onion served with a honey and ginger vinaigrette
- Coconut Jasmine Rice
- Seasonal Veggies
- Mahi Mahi with pineapple & mango salsa - this is a GF choice
- Hawaiian Style slow cooked Pork Shoulder served with a mango BBQ sauce
- Chocolate coconut chantilly cake
About our Speakers and Education Topics
Thursday, June 22
- Terry Bakker - 2 hrs. E-Services and Responding to IRS Letters, and 2 hrs on Ethics.
Terry became an Enrolled Agent in 2008 after obtaining the Oregon Tax Preparer (1988) and Consultant (2003) licenses. In addition to running an active tax practice serving the needs of individuals and small business, Terry has a commitment to the profession. She is the President of the Oregon Association of Independent Accountants. As part of her commitment, she teaches the Enrolled Agents Preparation course for her Association and has spoken for all of the tax preparation associations in Oregon.
- Rick Davey - 4 hrs - Like-Kind Exchange of Business Property and
discussion of just what is 1231/1245/1250/etc property.
Rick has been preparing taxes since 1981. His experience as a manager of a large tax practice has given him exposure to a broad range of small businesses and their issues. He is an Enrolled Agent and a Licensed Tax Consultant. Rick has taught tax classes since 1983 and enjoys sharing the knowledge he has gained both with his clients as well as his colleagues
Friday, June 23
- Dennie Wheeler - 4 hrs - Rise and Fall of a Business - from Start Up Costs, Organization and Strategy to Liquidation and what to do with the Assets and Depreciation when it ends.
Dennie Wheeler is a Certified Public Accountant and resident member at Bandon, Oregon office of Wheeler & Grimes, CPAs, LLC. He was one of seven people in the United States to pass the 2002 U.S. Tax Court examination for nonattorneys to practice before the U.S. Tax Court. He also holds an Oregon municipal auditor license, and has co-authored two articles published in professional accounting journals. He has an associate’s degree with honors, a baccalaureate with honors and distinction in major, and two master degrees.
- IRS - 2 hrs
- Oregon Department of Revenue - 2 hrs
Saturday, June 24
- Clint Bentz - 3 hrs - Timber Taxation
Clint is a Member with Boldt, Carlisle & Smith, LLC, a full-service CPA firm with offices located in Albany, Salem, and Stayton, Oregon. He manages the Albany office of that practice. A large part of his practice is devoted to serving the special needs of agricultural and forestry clients. Clint is a long-term member of the Oregon Society of CPA’s forest products committee, and a trustee and Chairman of the American Forest Foundation and past Chairman of the American Tree Farm System.
- Oregon State Tax Board - 1 hr
- Clint Bentz - 2 hrs - Property Taxes
IMPORTANT CHANGE CONCERNING HANDOUT MATERIALS
Please notice that your registration price does not include pre-printed materials for the full 3-day convention. Pre-printed materials will be available as an optional purchase as you register, and will be given to you on check-in at the Convention.
- Pre-printed full convention materials in a binder for 3-day attendees - $25
- Those who prefer to download the materials will be sent a link to the download page shortly before the convention.
We will have black jackets, vests, and T-shirts with our convention logo available for purchase during the Convention. If you're interested in ordering any of these items now, please contact JoAnne Vetter to make arrangements.